Sunday, September 7, 2008

Farrell shares final thoughts

Jerry Farrell Jr. on Sunday, 7 a.m., Wallingford time:

I have not had access to a computer since Thursday afternoon, so this is my somewhat belated report on what occurred on Thursday at the Republican National Convention.

On Thursday night, the convention nominated Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., as their presidential candidate, and he accepted.

In contrast to some of the speeches that had been given earlier in the week, such as Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin's speeches, McCain's acceptance speech was very direct. It was surprisingly lacking in rhetoric and did not talk much to what his policies will be. But, actually, I think it succeeded very well in doing what McCain needed to do - bond with the American people. In essence, his speech said, "this is who I am, I will do the right thing, your trust in me is well-placed."

To win, a presidential candidate - no matter their ideology or platform, has to bond with the American people; they have to feel "I trust this guy, with my economic well-being, with the security of our country, with shaping my future and that of my children." A presidential candidate who can't bond in that way with the American people isn't going to win.

Given the difficulties McCain faces - the war in Iraq, a difficult economy at home, and dis-satisfaction with Bush - the most essential thing that McCain had to do on Thursday night was establish that level of trust between himself and the American people. And I think his speech succeeded very much in that regard.

It was great to have a ringside seat to this moment in American history. No matter your background - Republican, Democrat, or Independent - to sit there and watch this part of what is going to be one of the most hard-fought races for the American presidency was one of those moments you don't forget.

No comments: